- Episode 1. Arbeitslos (Unemployed)
- An introduction to the series by Professor Di Donato and the beginning of Marion's
story. Marion's father is looking for a job. Vocabulary for families and greetings.
- Episode 2. Kein Geld (No Money)
- An introduction to the native German speakers in the series. Marion's father applies for
a new job in a new city. Vocabulary for apologizing and asking for information.
- Episode 3. Wie geht es Papa? (How's Papa Doing?)
- Marion's family prepares for their move. Vocabulary about living spaces and housing.
- Episode 4. Umzug nach Köln (The Move to Cologne)
- Marion's family moves to Cologne but she stays behind. Vocabulary for furniture;
cultural information about Cologne and housing.
- Episode 5. Das Karnevalsfest (The Mardi Gras
- The Koslowskis take part in Karneval festivities. Vocabulary for directions;
cultural information about German festivals.
- Episode 6. Der Unfall (The Accident)
- One of the Koslowskis has an accident. Vocabulary for illness and sickness; a discussion
of the concept of luck.
- Episode 7. Der Urlaub (The Vacation)
- Marion and her mother prepare to go on vacation. Vocabulary for clothing and wishing
someone a good trip; cultural information about where Germans go on holiday.
- Episode 8. der Insel Rügen (On the Island of Rügen)
- Marion begins a romance with Michael, and the professor and Marion work on the vacation
storyline for the course. Vocabulary about vacations; cultural information about German
- Episode 9. Abenteuer und Liebe (Adventure and Love)
- Marion wants to rewrite the story of her vacation to add more adventure. Marion and
Michael's boat is lost at sea. Vocabulary for giving opinions.
- Episode 10. "Die Wespe" ("The
- Marion writes about Michael's controversy with his school newspaper. Vocabulary about
- Episode 11. Ein Liebesdrama (A Love Story)
- Michael's girlfriend Silke discovers photos of Michael and Marion and is upset.
Vocabulary for school subjects.
- Episode 12. Silke (Silke)
- The professor and Marion reflect on romance, and Marion talks with her guest Sabine
about how to make the story she's writing realistic. A humorous look at fairy tales.
- Episode 13. Der Auszubildende (The Apprentice)
- Professor Di Donato reviews the storylines to open Level 2, and Marion writes about
Michael's apprenticeship in a shipping company. Vocabulary about workplaces and
- Episode 14. Der Trick (The Trick)
- The crew on Michael's ship plays a prank on him. Cultural information about Hamburg.
- Episode 15. Zu viel Salz (Too Much Salt)
- The professor and Marion have dinner and discuss the next script. Michael has dinner at
his boss's house. Vocabulary about food and restaurants.
- Episode 16. Am Wochenende (On the Weekend)
- Marion and Sabine work out at a gym. Native speakers discuss their typical weekends.
Vocabulary about weekends; the concept of German unification.
- Episode 17. Nach Thüringen? (To Thuringia?)
- Herr Cornelius is offered a promotion in Thüringen in the former East Germany. Marion
and Sabine talk about Marion's real identity. Vocabulary for making inquiries, persuading,
and factory work.
- Episode 18. Die Lösung (The Solution)
- The Cornelius family copes with their move. Native speakers discuss their hobbies.
Vocabulary related to family dynamics, discussion, and compromise.
- Episode 19. Der Spaghetti-Professor (The Spaghetti
- Klara Cornelius meets Markus at the university in Munich. Marion and the professor
discuss issues of interest to students. Vocabulary related to the university.
- Episode 20. Der Umweltsünder (The Polluter)
- Klara and Markus encounter a polluter. Marion and Sabine try to tell the professor about
their true identities but fail. Vocabulary about pollution.
- Episode 21. Die falschen Klamotten (The Wrong
- Marion and Sabine are turned away at a disco. Vocabulary for what young people like to
do for fun.
- Episode 22. Ein neues Gemälde (A New Painting)
- The Stumpf family buys a painting. Marion and Sabine meet the professor at a museum and
reveal their true identities. Vocabulary about art.
- Episode 23. Der Hausmann (The House Husband)
- House husband Heiner is finding it difficult to take care of his son. Vocabulary about
housekeeping; the concept of Erziehungsurlaub (time off with pay to raise a child).
- Episode 24. Das Au Pair (The Au Pair)
- The Sanders hire an au pair. Marion now takes on her real persona the actress
Susanne Dyrchs and she and the professor plan the rest of the series. Vocabulary
about shopping; the informal du form of address.
- Episode 25. Ein Familiengeschichte (A Family
History), Lebensstile (Life Styles)
- The professor, Susanne, and native speakers discuss their upbringings. A historical
biography and three contemporary profiles give a picture of German life in the twentieth
- Episode 26. Jugend in Bewegung (Young People on the
Move), Drei Jugendporträts (Three Youths)
- One documentary on German youth from the 1950s to today and another with three
contemporary portraits, with comments from native speakers. Vocabulary related to youth
- Episode 27. Geschichte eines Gymnasiums (History of a
Gymnasium), Der Schulalltag (A Typical School Day)
- A historical documentary about secondary education and a contemporary portrait of a
rural high school student, with comments from Susanne and native speakers.
- Episode 28. Geschichte einer Universität (History of
a University), Ein Student aus Kamerun (A Student From Cameroon)
- A look at the founding of Heidelberg University and a portrait of an engineering student
from Cameroon. Native speakers, Susanne, and Sabine discuss their lives as students.
- Episode 29. Wirtschaft im Wandel (A Changing
Economy), Hilfe für Arbeitslose (Help for the Unemployed)
- Germany's changing economy, including a short documentary about unemployment. Vocabulary
for economics and industry.
- Episode 30. Die Frauenbewegung (The Women's
Movement), Im Auftrag der Frauen (Representing Women)
- The role of women in twentieth-century Germany. Vocabulary related to women's issues and
- Episode 31. Ein grünes Hobby (A Green Hobby),
Weiterbilden in der Freizeit (Leisure Learning)
- Documentaries on urban gardening and adult education. Native speakers and Susanne talk
about hobbies. Vocabulary about gardening and education.
- Episode 32. Urlaub: Gestern und heute (Vacation:
Yesterday and Today), Abenteuerurlaub (Adventure Vacation)
- A look at how Germans spend their vacations, with commentary from native speakers.
Vocabulary about vacations and travel arrangements.
- Episode 33. Ein Kurort (A Spa), Ein Arztbesuch (A
Visit to the Doctor)
- A historical look at spas, highlighting the famous city of Bad Ems, along with a
documentary about a typical physical examination. Vocabulary about health.
- Episode 34. Typisch Deutsch? (Typically German?), Vom
Sauerkraut zur Pizza (From Sauerkraut to Pizza)
- The wide array of modern German cuisine and a look at the multicultural German world.
Vocabulary about food.
- Episode 35. Auf Kosten der Umwelt (At What Cost to
the Environment?), Umweltschutz zu Hause (Environmental Protection at Home)
- Environmental problems and political efforts in modern Germany and an environmentally
sound German household. Vocabulary about environmental topics.
- Episode 36. Theater für Jugendliche (Theater for
Young People), 100 Jahre deutscher Film (100 Years of German Cinema)
- Berlin's avant-garde Grips Theatre and a documentary about Germany's legendary film
history. Vocabulary related to film and theater.
Fokus Deutsch is a video instructional series in German for college and
high school classrooms and adult learners; 36 fifteen-minute video programs.
A co-production of WGBH Boston, Inter
Nationes, and the Goethe-Institut. 1999.